Ostrum AM signs the latest Global Investor Statement to Governments on the Climate Crisis.
The freshly announced Global Investor Statement to Governments on the Climate Crisis is coordinated by the seven founding partners of The Investor Agenda1, and is signed by 457 investors representing more than $41 trillion in assets. As the world prepares to gather for the COP 26, the joint statement calls on governments to raise their climate ambition and implement robust policies to meet their goals.
This initiative seeks to meet Sustainable Development Goal 13 on climate action – one of the 17 SDG – which is a regular focus for our collaborative engagement policy. Prior to this fresh pledge, Ostrum AM had already co-signed the Global Investor Statement to Governments on Climate Change in 2018, in keeping with our engagement practices.
The statement not only provides an update, but it also calls on governments to address the following with urgency by 2030 to 2050:
- Strengthen Nationally Determined Contributions for 2030 in line with limiting warming to 1.5°C.
- Commit to a mid-century net zero emissions target with clear sectoral decarbonization roadmaps.
- Ensure ambitious pre-2030 policy action including strengthened carbon pricing, phasing out fossil fuel subsidies and thermal coal-based power, avoiding new carbon-intensive infrastructure (no new coal power plants) and developing just transition plans.
- Ensure COVID-19 economic recovery plans support the transition to net zero emissions and enhance resilience.
- Commit to implementing mandatory climate risk disclosure requirements.
This past summer’s unprecedented climate events – heat domes, cold drops, fires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc. – again highlight the urgent need for worldwide and concerted action. Ostrum AM therefore remains committed to drawing on all available resources to pursue the fight against climate change.
1. Asia Investor Group on Climate, CDP, Ceres, Investor Group on Climate Change, IICG, PRI, UN Environment programme.